Saturday, March 9, 2013

My favorite 3rd Doctor Stories

My favorite 3rd Doctor stories, fast and furious and in no particular order.
..Because +Brian Morris over on G+ asked for a recommendation for watching Jon Pertwee's Doctor, so here's my list. ~ Terry Lightfoot

Let's see..
Well, you can't go wrong with Spearhead from Space, Pertwee's first story. Autons, a skeptical Liz Shaw and a regenerated Doctor(a mysterious unknown for a few min). Gurning ensues.

The first Silurian story is a good one, because.. Silurians. (Doctor Who and the Silurians) He still doesn't quite get on with the Brig and the ending is a shocker. Seriously, it's harsh and makes a dark statement.
Bad Liz Shaw

Inferno is fun. Alternate universe where good guys are bad. Eye patch Brig. Sexy bad Liz. Pseudo Zombies. It's all win.

Oh, right! Terror of the Autons. The second Auton Story, here because it introduces the Master and Jo, and a great death scene with a chair. Unforgettable in fact. Ew.. AND an icky creepy doll. Yuck. Oh, and a dapper Time Lord messenger. And then, other things happen. Daffodils.



OOOH. Almost forgot: 
The Three Doctors. Why? TWO Doctors(come on, the other is on a TV for about 5 minutes. Ok? Whatever.) It's really the two. And the Pertwee-Troughton dynamic is a thing of beauty. AND The ultimate Time Lord: OMEGAAA!!! His story is awesome. Oh, AND Benton is unimpressed.



The Green Death - a fairly solid story, a handsome scientist is in it(Mmm), GIGANTIC MAGGOTS, Jo says goodbye to the Doctor and his feelings for her break your heart. He loved her. Lots. The first Rose, without all that running mascara and, here, she dumps him. WHAT!?



Ok, one of my real Pertwee favorites is Time Warrior. I just like it because Sarah's in Doctor Who for the first time, being a skeptic and causing trouble in a good way. She's all: I don't care if you are a "Time lord", how do I know you aren't a bad dude? Etc.. Oh, and one of my favorite monsters: Sontarans. Asshole Sontarans, not funny Sontarans. 

And .. Planet of the Spiders. 
Some people don't like it, because it's a bit long. Personally I find it highly entertaining with twists and lots of scenery and character variety. Giant freaking spiders, all right? Ok, ok.. Medium large freaking spiders. Still, fantastic. Effects on those are BAD but use your cgi imagination and it's awesome. 
Chanting, dimensional travel, and pseudo-Buddhism or something. Another Time Lord shows up. Cool, right? ..AND it's the last Pertwee story with all the drama that entails. "A tear, Sarah Jane?"


And there's more, but I think
this is a good selection
to start with and fall in
love with Jon Pertwee













Look at this guy.
He was in love with playing
a heroic part for the first time in
his life and he played it to the hilt.

Fuck yeah, Jon Pertwee!


.

3 comments:

JB Anderton March 10, 2013 at 6:01 AM  

Great list, Ms. Lighfoot. Pretty much matches which Pertwee eps I have on DVD, except I don't own "Silurians" and I plan to pick up the special edition of "Green Death" when it comes out later this year.

I would add "Carnival of Monsters" for the Drashigs, the bickering blue aliens, some good moments for Jo, and Ian Marter!

"The Daemons" should also be on the list - probably the ultimate U.N.I.T. story and Delgado's finest hour & change.

The only other Pertwee I have on DVD are "Day of the Daleks" and "Death to the Daleks".

Good rule of thumb is to stay away from any Pertwee story titled "_______ in Space" or "The ______ of Peladon".

Cheers - JB (from WHO 37 podcast)

Rhianon Jameson March 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM  

Thanks for the list - very helpful to someone, like me, dipping into the "classic" series. I had seen "Spearhead," "[Two and one half] Doctors," "Green Death," "Time Warrior," and "Spiders" - some thanks to suggestions from Miss Fuchsia - but I jotted down the others to find.

Now if you'd only be so kind as to do the same for Doctors 4 through 7, I'd be most appreciative. :)

Unknown March 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM  

@WHO 37 - Thank you for the additional suggestions, I'm sure it will help people. As for this post I was trying to keep it to as short and sweet a list as I could.
When I get round to the Fourth Doctor, I'm going to have my work cut out for me. 7 years of pretty awesome stories is going to make my job impossible.

@Rhianon Jameson - I'll do my best.

Post a Comment

WebMaster: Terry Lightfoot
WebDoctor: Oolon Sputnik
Blog by Terry Lightfoot
Back to TOP